Monday, April 26, 2010

Back in the Saddle - Flyfishing the Lower Sacramento River



Photo of me by Matt Payne







I'm almost embarrassed to admit it but I haven't been fly fishing since last November. It has been a constant annoyance for me not being able get out and fish. It's funny how quickly prior commitments build up and begin to consume so much of your time. I was in dire need of getting out onto a river system. Enter Montana fishing guide Matt Payne. This past weekend I had the opportunity to go fish with Matt and his buddy Matt Swan, a guide for The Fly Shop, on the Lower Sacramento River up in my old stomping grounds of Redding, California. Payne has recently moved to the Sacramento area with his wife Janelle and has been actively scouting out northern California rivers for his guiding business. He's a great guy and a damn fine fisherman. We made a day of hooking into rainbow trout, drinking Coors, and talking all things fish. You couldn't ask for a better day. This trip was a real treat for me because for the majority of the time, I had a fly rod in my hand and not a camera. Sometimes it's nice to change it up. Still, shooting pictures is hard to resist. I made a few frames of the Matt's rowing and nympthing near the Sundial bridge that I was pleased with considering it was high noon sun beating down on us.

Later on I met up with an old fishing buddy of mine Justin Miller, of The Fly Shop, and we cooked up some Argentina style steaks and as a happy experiment, we grilled poblano chili peppers stuffed with feta cheese and wrapped in bacon. I'll be thinking about that meal all week. Justin is probably one of the most talented fly tyers I know. He was all stoked about his upcoming stripper fishing trip and with that, he decided to design a new fly for the occasion. I have yet to meet someone who gets so pumped about fishing like Justin does. The guy thinks like a fish. Like a true perfectionist, he left nothing to chance and decide to test out his new pattern in his bath tub and if need be would make design adjustments. It was so nice to be in the company of trout bums again. It was an overall killer weekend. Already looking forward to the next outing. -M

2 comments:

  1. SO, Mr. Photographer, were there any Grip n' Grin photos of the Rainbows? The one on he plate next to the Chili Pepper doesn't count!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I didn't your "slabbage" on my first visit! Your grin is as big as your "Bow! Nicely done....

    ReplyDelete